Collegiate Church of St Mary
Tel: +44 (0)1926 403940
St Mary's Collegiate Church dominates the overall view of the centre of Warwick with its imposing tower, rebuilt along with much of the church in 1704 by Sir William Wilson after the Great Fire of Warwick. There has been a church on the site since Saxon times, but the saxon church was rebuilt by Roger de Newburgh in 1123.
Howerver, the magnificent mediaeval Beauchamp Chapel escaped the devastating fire of 1694 and houses the tombs of past Earls of Warwick including Richard Beauchamp's tomb described in Simon Jenkin's book 'England's 1000 Best Churches' as "one of the masterpieces of medieval art" and was awarded a 5-star rating.
St Mary's also contains The Chapel of The Royal Warickshire Regiment and Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery's garter banner hangs outside the Chapel. There is also the Norman Crypt dating back to 1123 AD and contains one of only 2 remaining ducking stools in England.
A glorious view of the town, surrounding countryside and the Castle can be seen from the top of the tower - well worth climbing the 134 steps to see.
OPEN - Daily Summer 10.00am - 17.40pm Winter 10.00am - 16.10pm
Church Admission Free (Donation welcome)
Tower open all year (weather permitting) - there is a small admission charge
Visit the official St Mary's Church web site - click here.
St Mary's boasts four choirs. For further details, please click here.
Hill Close Gardens
Off Friars Street
Tel: 01926 493339
Hill Close Gardens, Bread & Meat Close, Warwick CV34 6HF. Tel. 01926 493339.
This delightful network of individual Victorian gardens, separated by high hedges, has been restored using Heritage Lottery funding. Delightful summerhouses, gnarled old fruit trees, and heritage flowers and vegetables welcome the visitor to this tranquil spot. Buy plants and historic varieties of fruit and vegetables in season. Enjoy tea, coffee and cake in the "sustainable" visitor centre. View the changing displays. Gifts for sale. Venue hire available
Winter Opening Hours
1st November to March 31st
Mon - Fri only, 11.00 am - 4.00 pm (Last entry 3.30pm)
Self-service drinks + small snacks available
Summer Opening Hours
April 1st - October 31st
Daily 11.00am - 5.00pm (Last entry 4:30pm)
Cafe Open Sat, Sun and Bank Holiday Monday
Admission: adults £4; children £1.00 under 5s free. RHS & HCGT members free
Access from racecourse car park off Friars Street (2 hours free parking available).
For more information on special events and educational activities please view www.hillclosegardens.com.
All year round guided tours are available for groups of over 10 people at a charge of £8.40 a head to include entrance, services of a guide and tea and cake. Also the Centre has a well equipped kitchen and good projection facilities and is available for hire. Further information on both tours and lettings can be obtained from the Centre Manager Tel 01926 493339 or email Centremanager@hcgt.org.uk.
Lord Leycester Hospital and Master's Garden
Tel: +44 (0)1926 491422
The historic group of buildings that now comprise the Hospital, is now dominated by the ancient Chantry Chapel of St James, built over the West Gate into Warwick by Thomas Beauchamp, 12th Earl of Warwick, in the latter half of the 14th Century.
The Guild of St George was created under a license issued by King Richard II on 20th April, 1383, and Thomas Beauchamp granted the benefice of the Chantry Chapel to the Guild on its formation. Sometime between 1386 and 1413, the Guild of the Blessed Virgin, based at the Collegiate Church of St Mary, joined the Guild of St George at the West Gate. To accommodate the resident priests and the guilds, reception, meeting and dining halls were built as well as living quarters. They became known as the United Guilds of Warwick.
In 1546, when they were dispersed by King Henry VIII, the United Guilds were able to save their property from seizure through the admirable foresight of their Master, Thomas Oken, who had it transferred to the Burgesses of Warwick.
In 1571, Robert Dudley, Earl of Leycester acquired the buildings and founded, under charter from Queen Elizabeth I, a Hospital for aged or disabled soldiers and their wives. The Charter set up a corporation consisting of the Master in charge of the Hospital and the twelve resident Brethren, which was endowed with estates producing an income of £200 per year. To accommodate them, parts of the buildings, including the Guildhall itself, were divided into primitive quarters. These arrangements remained unchanged until 1950, when the Guildhall was cleared and the number of Brethren temporarily reduced to five.
Saltisford Canal Trust
Tel: +44 (0)1926 490006
Fax: 01926 490006
Colourful canal urban fringe park, run by local charity on the Saltisford Arm of the Grand Union Canal. Gardens, picnic sites, day hire canal boats with full disabled access, canal side shop and information centre, refreshments, day fishing and overnight visitor moorings.
Open daily year round, Shop open 7 days a week March to October, Weekdays November to February.
St John's Museum
Tel: +44 (0)1926 412132 or 412021
Please note that with immediate effect St John's Museum will no longer be open to the Public on Sundays during the summer months. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. For further information regarding opening hours please telephone 01926 412500.
tel: 01926 412132/2021
St John's House Museum has its own free car park, although spaces are limited. Alternative parking can be found at St Nicholas Park. The museum has a small shop which offers a range of gifts to suit all ages. Public toilets are located within the house and include an accessible toilet and baby changing facilities.
Wheelchair access to ground floor. Unfortunately we do not have a lift to the Regimental Museum on the first floor, but visitors can get a taste of those galleries through our Virtual Tour facility. BSL signing is available by arrangement for events.
How to Get Here
Map to St John's House Museum, Warwick
St John's House is located at the bottom end of Warwick, approximately 0.5 miles from the Market Square and Central Bus Station, and 4 minutes walk from Warwick Railway Station.
A direct service from London Marylebone or Birmingham Snow Hill is available from both stations.
Warwick Train Station is 0.2 miles walk from St John's House. Head down Station Road, at the T junction, turn right on Coventry Road. St John's House is directly ahead of you, beyond the traffic lights.
Warwick is near the M40 and A46 trunk road. Postcode - CV34 4NF.
St John's House Museum has its own free car park, although spaces are limited. Alternative parking can be found at St Nicholas Park. There are also a number of pay and display car parks around Warwick, as well as metered parking on many of the streets nearby.
St Nicholas Park
Tel: 01926 495353
Includes a crazy golf course, amusement rides, children's play area, pony rides, outdoor paddling pool and boats for hire (summer only), tennis, football courts, recreation ground, indoor swimming pool and leisure centre, sports facilities, cafe, BMX track and Boules rink.
The Mill Garden
Tel: 01926 492877
At the bottom of Mill Street is the Mill Garden, famed for the quality of its planting in an unbelievable setting. It was created over a period of sixty years by the late Arthur Measures, who made it a personal expression of his love of plants.
On one side are the river and the ruin of the mediaeval bridge, whose roadway once led across where there are now lawns and flowers. In a lucky year, swans nest in its shelter. On the other side, Caesar's Tower looms overhead. The stone walls of the castle give one of the most dramatic backdrops for any garden.
Open: April-October daily 9am-6pm,
Admission £2.00, accompanied young children free, plant sales.
Unsuitable for electric wheelchairs.
Tel: 01926 492877.
The Queen's Own Hussars Museum
The Lord Leycester Hospital, 60 High Street
Tel: +144 (0)1926 492035
The Cavalry Regiment of the West Midlands – the past to the present
http://www.qohmuseum.org.uk For opening times please check on 01926 492797 or on www.thequeen'sownhussars.co.uk and
go to Regimental Museum.
Within The Lord Leycester Hospital no further admission charge.
Covering over 300 years of service of the senior light cavalry regiment of the British Army, the lives of a few individuals have been chosen to bring to life each era. A chronology board relates the regimental and military events to other national and local historical events.
The Museum starts with the raising of the regiment and early service (1685-1742). The wars against the French (1742-1815) include the Battle of Dettingen and the story of Thomas Brown, the Gallant Dragoon. The Napoleonic Wars cases highlight the Peninsular Campaign and Waterloo.
19th Century and Colonial Wars (1815-1914) are illustrated through life-sized tableaux, one being a scene featuring Captain Walter Unett, a local man, and one and one of a stable and a trooper preparing his horse for review. There are displays commemorating the two Indian Mutiny VCs, photographs of 19th century life, and displays of pre-and post-khaki uniforms and equipment.
The museum has been further redeveloped in 2003/4. The new displays chart the changeover to modern tank warfare during the 1930s, Second World War, and post War highlights including peacekeeping.
An audio-visual experience shows the part played by the Regiment at great cost in the in the closing stages of the Battle of El Alamein, in the 8th Army under command of General Montgomery of the Warwickshire Regiment
The story into the 21st Century includes a large screen display of a Challenger 2 tank, showing all the crew positions and their tasks. There are also a Medal Collection, archives for research and enquiries, handling items, family fun activities, and a small shop.
Tel: 01926 491553
Fax: 01926 403 223
Warwick Racecourse is one of the leading flat and steeple chasing courses and has a regular programme of 22 meetings throughout the year.
The central grandstand incorporates the first stand built in 1808. In 2000 it underwent a £3 million refurbishment, which includes a new restaurant, a betting shop, better disabled facilities, increased viewing steppings and Bar facilities.
Admission Charges 2011
Warwickshire Museum - Market Hall
Tel: +44 (0)1926 412500 or 412501
The Warwickshire Museum contains displays of Archaeology, Geology and Natural History, The Great Fire of Warwick and Sheldon's Tapestry Map.
OPEN ALL YEAR (Closed Mondays)
10.00am – 5.00pm Tuesdays – Saturdays and Bank Holiday Mondays (all year round)
11.30am – 5.00pm Sundays (April – September only)
ADMISSION FREE (Donations welcome)
Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum
The Court House, Jury Street
Tel: +44 (0)1926 492212