St Mary’s Collegiate Church dominates the overall view of the centre of Warwick with its imposing tower, rebuilt along with much of the church in 1704 by Sir William Wilson after the Great Fire of Warwick. There has been a church on the site since Saxon times, but the saxon church was rebuilt by Roger de Newburgh in 1123.
However, the magnificent mediaeval Beauchamp Chapel escaped the devastating fire of 1694 and houses the tombs of past Earls of Warwick including Richard Beauchamp’s tomb described in Simon Jenkin’s book ‘England’s 1000 Best Churches’ as “one of the masterpieces of medieval art” and was awarded a 5-star rating.
St Mary’s also contains The Chapel of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment and Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery’s garter banner hangs outside the Chapel. There is also the Norman Crypt dating back to 1123 AD and contains one of only 2 remaining ducking stools in England.
A glorious view of the town, surrounding countryside and the Castle can be seen from the top of the tower – well worth climbing the 134 steps to see.
July 2021 – Please note that St Mary’s Church is presently closed to the public
Church Admission Free (Donation welcome)
Tower open all year (weather permitting) – there is a small admission charge
Visit the official St Mary’s Church web site – please click here.